Authorization: Only those students who have signed an agreement form and provided written permission from parents/guardians may access the District Computer System (DCS).
Standards of Conduct Governing Student access to the DCS: Inappropriate use of the DCS may result in disciplinary action, including suspension or cancellation of access. Prior to suspension or revocation of access to the DCS, students will be afforded applicable due process rights. Each student who is granted access will be responsible for that usage.
The DCS is provided for students in support of their educational program and to conduct research and communicate with others. Student access to external computer networks not controlled by the District is provided to students who act in a considerate and responsible manner. Individual users of the District's computerized information resources are responsible for their behavior and communications over the District computer network.
It is presumed that users will comply with District standards and will honor the agreements they have signed. Student data files and other electronic storage areas will be treated like school lockers. This means that such areas shall be considered to be school district property and subject to control and inspection. The computer coordinator may access all such files and communications to insure system integrity and that users are complying with the requirements of District policy and regulations regarding student access to the DCS.
Students should NOT expect that information stored on the DCS will be private as it becomes and is considered to be property of the DCS.
During school, teachers will guide students toward appropriate materials. Outside of school, parents/guardians bear responsibility for such guidance as they do with information sources such as television, telephones, movies, radio and other potentially offensive/controversial media.
Prohibitions: In addition to the District's general requirements governing student behavior, the following specific activities shall be prohibited by student users of the DCS:
1. Disclosing an individual password to others or using others' passwords.
2. Using the DCS to obtain, view, download, send, print, display, or otherwise gain access to or to transmit materials that are unlawful, obscene, pornographic or abusive.
3. Use of obscene or vulgar language.
4. Harrassing, insulting, bullying, threatening or attacking others.
5. Damageing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with the operation of computers, computer systems, software or related equipment through physical action or by electronic means.
6. Using unauthorized software on the DCS.
7. Changing, copying, renaming, deleting, reading or otherwise accessing files or software not created by the student without express permission from the computer coordinator.
8. Violating copyright law.
9. Employing the school district computer system for personal or commercial purposes, product advertisement or politically lobbying that is not school related.
10. Transmitting material, information or software in violation of any District policy or regulation, the school behavior code, and/or federal, state, and local law or regulation.
11. The use of digital devices and electronic technology and media to facliltate cheating, plagiarism, etc.
1. Violations may result in suspension and/or revocation of student access to the district computer system as determined in accordance with appropriate due process procedures.
2. Additional disciplinary action may be determined at the building level in accordance with existing practices and procedures regarding inappropriate language or behavior, as well as federal, state and local law.
3. When applicable, law enforcement agencies may be involved.