Teacher: Mr. Koscielniak
Length: 20 Weeks
Course Description and Expectations:
Health is a comprehensive, 20 week course that will cover six main topics including mental health, social health, physical health, diseases, drugs, alcohol and tobacco and first aid. The course will include a variety of teaching variations such as lecture and notes, class discussions, videos, group and individual activities, debates and so on. Using a variety of different will give everyone an opportunity to succeed.
Do to the nature of the course (sometimes sensitive material) and that health is a part of everyone’s lives, respecting each other is expected at all times, NO EXCEPTIONS!
This health class is designed that everyone feels safe and comfortable to be able to share and discuss issues, if they chose to. Be respectful, considerate and understanding of the people in this classroom.
1) Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health.
2) Students will analyze the influence of family, peers, culture, media, technology, and other factors on health education.
3) Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid information and products and services to enhance health.
4) Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce health risks.
5) Students will demonstrate the ability to use decision making skills, goal setting skills, and health enhancing behaviors to avoid or reduce health risks.
6) Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family and community health.