• What are the hours for registration and do I need to make an appointment?
    The District Registrar's Office is open Monday-Friday from 8:00am to 11:45am and 1:15pm to 2:00pm. Summer hours vary, so please call ahead.  Appointments are not necessary but will help to expedite the process.  You can call 716-945-5142 to schedule an appointment.

    Where is the District’s Registrar located?
    The District’s Registrar is located in Room 47 at Salamanca Jr/Sr High School at 50 Iroquois Drive.

    What documents are required for enrollment?
    In order to enroll in the District’s schools, you must first complete the form on the link provided; (Student Enrollment Form).  The District’s Registrar will review and assist you to complete this Form.  Upon the District’s review of this completed form and confirmation of an in-District address, the child will be considered enrolled in the District.  In accordance with the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, specifically 8 N.Y.C.R.R. § 100.2(y)(2), the child will begin attending the District’s schools on our next school day or as soon as practicable.  

    Does “enrollment” mean that the child is a “resident” and entitled to attend school within the District?
    Not necessarily.  Please be advised that the child’s immediate enrollment is required by the above-mentioned Commissioner’s Regulation.  The child may be enrolled prior to the District having an opportunity to make a determination as to whether he or she is a resident and fully entitled to attend the District’s schools.  Pursuant to 8 N.Y.C.R.R. § 100.2(y)(2), a residency determination will be made within three (3) business days. 

    What is involved in a “residency determination”?
    A residency determination is made after the District has an opportunity to review all the information and documentation submitted by the child, the child’s parent(s) or the child’s person(s) in parental relation.  The Board of Education has designated Kristin Dudek, Lloyd Long and/or Robert Breidenstein as Residency Officer to make residency determinations.  In order to make this determination, the Residency Officer will review all documentation submitted within three business days of the child’s enrollment.  If the Residency Officer determines that the child is not a resident, he or she will be excluded from attending school at the District.  The District’s Residency Officer will provide a written determination pursuant to the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education.

    Residency determinations are based on an individual's physical presence and intent to reside within the geographical boundaries of the District as his or her actual and only place of residence. 

    A student's residence is presumed to be that of his/her parents/guardians.   However, this presumption can be rebutted in certain instances and in accordance with applicable law/regulations. To Discuss those situations please ask to speak with the Central Registrar in the district.

    What documentation/information may be submitted to the District regarding the child’s residency?
    Below is a non-exhaustive list of the forms of documentation that may be submitted to the District:

    Section A – The District may require documentation and/or information establishing physical presence in the District.  Such documentation may include, but shall not be restricted to:

    (1)    A copy of a residential lease or proof of ownership of a house or condominium, such as a deed mortgage statement
    (2)    A statement by a third-party landlord, owner, or tenant from whom the parent(s) or person(s) in parental relation leases or with whom they share property within the District, which may be sworn or unsworn; or

    (3)    Such other statement by a third party establishing the parent(s)’ or person(s) in parental relation’s physical presence in the District. 

    Section B - If the documentation listed in (1) – (3), above, is not available, the District will consider other forms of documentation and/or information establishing physical presence in the District, which may include but shall not be limited to:
    ·         Pay stub;
    ·         Income tax form;
    ·         Utility or other bills;
    ·         Membership documents (such as library cards) based on residency;
    ·         Voter registration documents;
    ·         Official driver’s license, learner’s permit, or non-driver identification;
    ·         State or other government issued identification;
    ·         Documents issued by federal, state or local agencies (such as social service agencies, Federal Office of Refugee Resettlement); or
    ·         Evidence of custody of the child including, but not limited to judicial custody orders or guardianship papers.

    In addition to the above, the may District may also require:

    • The parent(s) to provide an affidavit indicating that they are the parent(s) with whom the child lawfully resides; or
    • The person(s) in parental relation to provide an affidavit indicating that they are the person(s) in parental relation to the child, over whom they have total and permanent custody and control, whether through guardianship or otherwise. 

    The District will consider all documentation and information that is submitted.  In order to demonstrate residency, the District generally requires at least one document from Section A and at least two documents from Section B (one must include photo ID).  However, each situation will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. 

    What documentation/information may be submitted to the District regarding a child’s age?

    • A certified transcript of a birth certificate or record of baptism
    • A passport (only if a certified transcript of a birth certificate or record of baptism is not available)
    • Other documentary or recorded evidence in existence two years or more (only if a certified transcript of a birth certificate, record of baptism or passport is not available), such as:

    o   Official driver’s license
    o   State or other government issued identification
    o   School photo identification with date of birth
    o   Consulate identification card
    o   Hospital or health records
    o   Military dependent identification card
    o   Documents issued by federal, state or local agencies
    o   Court orders or other court-issued documents;
    o   Native American tribal document; or
    o   Records from non-profit international aid agencies and voluntary agencies.

    Do I need to submit any other documentation?
    Yes, the following documents should be completed and submitted to the District’s Registrar (to print all forms at once Entire Registration Packet :

    Parent Checklist
    Record Release
    Student Racial and Ethnic Identification Form
    Home Language Questionnaire
    Home Language Questionnaire Supplement
    Title VI - Student Eligibility Certification
    Student Information Technology Application
    Student Computer Use Policy
    Military Opt-Out: Secondary Only
    Free and Reduced Lunch Form 18-19


    New York Public Health Law (PHL) §2164 requires that parents vaccinate their children against serious disease including polio, measles, chicken pox, whipping cough and others.  Public and private officials may not admit unvaccinated children to school in excess of 14 days unless: (1) the student is transferring from out-of-state or from another country and can show a good faith effort to get the necessary certification or other evidence of immunizations in which case the 14-day period may be extended to no more than 30 days; or (2) the student has been legally exempted for medical reasons or because the child’s parents genuine and sincere religious beliefs which are contrary to vaccination practices (PHL §2164 [7][a], [8], [9]; Education Law § 914[1]; 10 NYCRR §66-1.3).

    The attached medical packet (red cover) contains documentation that must be submitted within 14 days** of enrollment in order for your child to continue in school
    Student Health History - Completed by parent and/or guardian
    Immunization Records - *
    Immunization Requirements  - *
    Dental Health Certificate - *
    Dispense Medication - *
    Health Appraisal Form - *
    * Your child's doctor/dentist can  fax  the required paperwork at 716-945-2148

    School districts must notify all parents and/ or guardians of their rights regarding the potential referral and evaluation of their child for the purposes of special education services or programs at any time throughout their education. The link below contains the safeguards for all students throughout that process.  For assistance with this process in Salamanca please contact the Director of Special Education, Kristin Dudek at 716-945-5142.

    New York State Procedural Safeguards Notice: Rights for Parents of Children with Disabilities, Ages 3-21
    Procedural Safeguards for Students with Disabilities - July 2017

    If you have any questions regarding registration or if you have any questions or concerns about your child needing additional supports services through the committee on special education please do not hesitate to contact our office at any time at 945-5142.

    Thank you,

    Kristin Dudek
    Director of Special Education/Central Registration