Salamanca City Central School District
On 12/23/21, the NYS Department of Health issued a field memo titled, Test to Stay Update: Revised Updated Testing and Quarantine Supplemental Information to the Interim NYSDOH Guidance for Classroom Instruction in P-12 Schools During the 2021-2022 Academic Year. The memo can be accessed HERE. https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2021/12/ttsandtoq_memo_for_lhds_12.3.21.pdf
This plan has been updated to also comply with NYSDOH 1/4/22 field memo titled, Interim Updated Isolation & Quarantine Guidance (accessed HERE). https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2022/01/nys_updated_isolation_quarantine_guidance_01042022.pdf
Based on recent studies released by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the NYSDOH supports Test to Stay as a strategy that allows asymptomatic unvaccinated or vaccinated and eligible for booster school-based close contacts (i.e. students, teachers, other school staff) to avoid school exclusion (but not other restrictions of quarantine) by testing negative through serial testing using rapid NAAT or antigen tests during a five-day period following exposure. The intent is to reduce the number of students and staff who are excluded from school due to quarantine orders who are otherwise healthy (asymptomatic and negative).
Test to Stay (TTS) sets forth responsibilities for local health departments and school districts. This Addendum serves to outline those responsibilities and document Salamanca City Central School District’s plan for implementation.
Responsibilities of Cattaraugus County Public Health Department
Review updated Test to Stay plans for Salamanca City Central School District and authorize implementation of Test to Stay programs
Ensure that schools remain current on their reporting of all COVID-19 test results to the NYS COVID-19 Report Card
Assess available local resources and encourage schools to assess resources that can be used to support Test to Stay programs
Ensure the opportunity to participate is available to all districts in the county. School districts retain the authority to decide whether or not to participate
Salamanca City Central School District Test to Stay Plan:
1. If there is a COVID-19 positive case the Salamanca City Central School District will direct individuals to self-report contact tracing consistent with Cattaraugus County Public Health guidelines and parameters and as outlined in the recent guidance documents. The contact tracing self-reporting portal can be found at https://data.enchantedmountains.net/webform/quarantine_orders_request
2. Any individual (student, faculty/staff member) who is identified by the Salamanca City Central School District as a close contact as a result of contact tracing will be considered for Test to Stay based on the following parameters:
a) The exposure may have occurred in the school setting.
b) The exposed person is unvaccinated or vaccinated but eligible for booster.
c) The exposed person is asymptomatic; if the exposed person who is allowed to remain in school through TTS develops symptoms, they
must be immediately excluded from school per current school guidance. In that instance, the Salamanca City Central School District will
direct the individual to the self reporting portal for contact tracing following current protocols.
d) The exposed person will be tested a minimum of two times during the five calendar day period following exposure, unless recognition of
the exposure is delayed or weekends or school breaks intervene.
e) The five-day period is measured in calendar days where the last date of exposure is considered Day Zero (0).
f) The tests will be conducted, and results received, before the school day begins The tests will be conducted, and results received, before the school day begins the nurse’s office of the student’s home school. Any positive Individuals will be isolated per existing procedures. Tests conducted at home will not be accepted as part of Test to Stay. Any positive Individuals will be isolated per existing procedures. Tests conducted at home will not be accepted as part of Test to Stay.
3. The exposed person who is allowed to remain in school through Test to Stay must be otherwise quarantined outside of the school day (students are not permitted to participated in after school/co-curricular or athletic events).
4. Any student who participates in Test to Stay must have a signed consent for testing form from a parent or guardian. Permission Form
5. Individuals participating in Test to Stay are allowed to continue to ride the school bus and must follow all existing guidance, including required mask wearing.
6. The Test to Stay program will be maintained as long as the Salamanca City Central School District is able to provide test kits in an equitable fashion, free of charge to students and staff. The Salamanca City Central School District retains the authority to discontinue the program at any time.
Salamanca City Central School District COVID-19 Contact Information:
Salamanca City Central School District has designated Mr. Ray Haley, Director of Security to serve as COVID-19 Safety Coordinator, who along with Mrs. Julianne Creed, District Nurse Manger, Dr. Mark Beehler, Deputy Superintendent and Mr. Robert Breidenstein, Superintendent are responsible for the following:
Be the main contacts upon the identification of positive COVID-19 cases and be responsible for subsequent communication
Ensure continuous compliance with all aspects of the Salamanca City Central School School District pandemic response plan
Be the county, state, and federal liaison for all matters related to COVID-19
They can be contacted at:
Ray Haley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-945-2400 x6501
Julianne Creed at email@example.com or 716-945-3400 x6203
Mark Beehler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-945-2400 x6028
Robert Breidenstein at email@example.com or 716-945-2400 x4025
SALAMANCA CITY CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR CDC, STATE, AND LOCAL HEALTH DEPARTMENT GUIDANCE. THIS PLAN IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE AS THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC PROGRESSES.
Cattaraugus County Close Contact Flow Chart
Cattaraugus County Positive Case Flow Chart